Sunday, December 2, 2007

Loneliness

Family and friends are in my life but loneliness/aloneness is screaming in my heart. On Saturday morning, I ran the Jingle Bell Run and although it should have been fun for me because it was a “first” for me, I felt very alone and lonely. Surrounding me on every side were fathers, mothers, children and friends cheering on their loved ones and friends and there were smiles and laughter everywhere but I stood there with tears in my eyes and hurt in my heart. I was filled with selfishness as I questioned God why I was feeling so alone. I have wanted to be a wife and mother since I was a little child but here I am at 36 years old and I am still “alone” in my life and although I should be content with where God has me in life, I am not content. How can I be content with being single when I have always had a desire to be a wife and mother. I have family and friends in my life but I still feel very alone. How can I be surrounded with family and friends but feel so very alone and lonely in my life? I went searching for verses on loneliness because I knew that God was asking me to come into His word to find the answers and I, once again, was filled with selfishness as I told myself over and over again that I am not lonely because God is in my life and I should be content with where He has me in my life. I found many, many verses on loneliness and here are a few that really touched me.

... the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Psalms 42:11

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. Isaiah 58:9

Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you ... Isaiah 43:4

“I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:18

“I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” Genesis 28:15

And you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority. Colossians 2:10

Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay. - Psalm 40:17

... How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. - Isaiah 30:19

... My Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:23,24

When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to the Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:6

And call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me. Psalm 50:15

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” Jeremiah 33:3

... the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:15,16

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15

The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; he is their stronghold in time of trouble. Psalm 37:39

The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him. - Nahum 1:7

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7

Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. - Psalm 71:20
Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God. Psalm 42:11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived by 1 Peter 5:7 during my lonely moments. When I was completely broken was when I found that one person that God made for me. Honestly I thought I would never ever find someone. I had the same desire my entire life to be a wife and mother, but it seemed God had others plans for me. He did until I was broken, lonely, and feeling so out there searching for something..if that makes sense. Its so hard to be patient and understand why God keeps us single for so long...but he wants the BEST for us. Its a father taking care of his child. Find comfort in those verses...it really made a difference with my life.

jennyhope said...

girl we need to talk some time. i hear the cry of your heart. Also, i love how real you are here. people need to know that they are not alone when they feel this way. i need to send you an email so i dont blog everything. have you done the patriarchs? I love when Beth talks about Hagar and how God met her in the wilderness. She named Him El Roi "The God who see's me". She was the first one to name Him anything and she was a woman. I can't tell you how many times I have cried from anguish in my soul and the Lord has whispered His name El Roi to me. I am praying and I know He will be true to you. you are such a beautiful precious woman!

Site Meter