Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Stars, A 4-Wheeler and Laughs

My weekend started with a road trip on Friday to Arkansas to see the York family. I had a trouble free drive and arrived about an hour early so I surprised Ashton and Abbie (11 year old twins). We had a weekend filled with stories, laughs, walks around the town, catching up with old friends, playing in the park in which I pushed a child accidently out of a swing (he was not hurt), playing down by the river in the mud, watching movies, playing at the church, and eating lots of great food. My weekend was one of the most relaxing weekends I have had in a long time and it was wonderful to get away and to catch up with old friends. I do want to share a few things that really touched my heart this weekend.

As Ashton, Abbie and I were walking around the neighborhood on Friday night, I was in awe at the absolutely amazing clear sky that was completely filled with stars. I like Birmingham but our city is so filled with lights that the stars can be hard to find. In Des Arc, Arkansas, you can look up at the stars and there is not one city light affecting your view.

An old friend surprised us all by showing up Saturday night and although my time with him was brief, it was wonderful to catch up with him. Everyone we came in to contact with was absolutely thrilled to see him.

For the first time in my life, I rode a 4 wheeler. It was an absolute blast, scary, but a ton of fun. I can't wait to do it again.

If you are ever in the mood for some great food, take a trip to Des Arc. I had the opportunity to attend a Sunday school social on Saturday night and a missions lunch on Sunday. When people in Des Arc need food, there is food in forces. There were steaks, chicken, potatoes, desserts galore..you name it, it was there.

The last thing I want to share is about friendliness. We have a tendency to get into our busy lives and we sometimes forget to look around at those around us and to just offer a smile, a wave, a hug or a simple hello. One of the reasons that I love visiting Des Arc is that from the moment you cross into the county lines, most everyone who passes you instantly waves and sometimes you can even see them smile at you. Once you hit the main street, you can see people talking on the streets, waving as you drive by or honking at you to get your attention, most everyone you pass says hello, some will even give you a hug. The town is small but they make everyone feel like family. The next time you pass someone in the car next to you or on the street, please stop and say hello or give a wave and a smile. I, myself, am going to start saying hello more often and waving.

To my friends and family in Des Arc, thanks for a great and relaxing evening!

No comments:

Site Meter