Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Just A Girl Standing Before A Boy Asking Him To Love Her

Can anyone guess what movie that line is from? If you guessed Notting Hill, you are right. Julia Roberts' character tells Hugh Grant's character that she is just a girl standing before a boy asking him to love her. How many times in life do women stand by a man just asking him to love her? I think back on my days of dating and I only wanted to be loved and I wanted to love back. I can't even count on two hands the number of times that I said "maybe if I do this, he will love me", "maybe if I show him unconditional love, he will love me back", "he will change", "he will realize that my love is enough". I am happily married now to a man who loves me unconditionally but I often run into women who say "I thought he would change." "I thought that if I loved him enough, he would love me back." "I thought I would be the one." "What could I have done differently to make him love me?" "What did I do that caused him to not want me?" These statements break my heart because I remember asking those same questions. When I look back now I realize that my questions should have been: "Lord, is this relationship glorifying to you?" "Lord, is this relationship what you want for my life?" "Lord, what do you want me to learn about YOU through this relationship?" "Lord, how can I show the love I have for YOU to the person I am dating?" "Lord what do you want me to learn about myself through this relationship?" As for my life today, I should be asking the same questions but from a marital point of view. Relationships can be difficult, challenging, fun, adventurous, life-changing, and so much more. So, to all the girls out there asking the boys to love them and to all the boys asking the girls to love them, love the Lord first and foremost and the rest will fall into place.

No comments:

Site Meter