Tuesday, November 6, 2007

DMV Adventures

Today I have the honor of going to one of the local Bham DMV's to renew the tag on a library van we have at work. The DMV's in Alabama are always an interesting place (not enough workers and usually a very, very long wait) but today was an especially interesting day. I arrived about 1:50pm which I would have assumed was after lunch but I guess it is lunch hour all day because there were 4 people working and about 50 people in line. As I got in line, I realized that I was at the "40 minute" mark in line so I played a game on my cell phone. As I was standing in line playing a game on my cell phone, I began to listen to the conversations around me. Here are a few clips of what I heard: (the last one is the end all be all)

*A guy on his cell phone in front of me talking to someone about his sex life.

*A young girl and her mom standing behind me talking and goofing around. I wondered why the young girl was out of school on a Tuesday at 2pm when I heard these words "Mommy, what are we going to do tonight to get rid of the white things in my hair." Yes, you guessed it..head lice. I proceeded to slowly move about a foot further ahead. The mom immediately responded with "sshhh..be quiet. I have the special shampoo and we will wash your hair tonight."

*A man talking to himself and laughing about his adventures and times at the DMV and as he left he laughed out loud and said "my adventure is not over." Not sure if he was talking about the DMV adventure or whatever adventure he was making up in his head.

*An older gentleman and a Spanish speaking guy were standing at the counter and the older gentleman was trying to explain that he was wanting to change the title from him to the Spanish speaking man (the new owner of the car the older gentleman had sold). Apparently, the older gentleman took care of his dad for many years and his dad died 10 years ago and he has had the car with him the whole time. He proceeded to find out during the conversation that his dead father was still the owner and he would have to show proof that he was the new rightful owner of the car even though he was technically no longer the owner because he had "sold" it to the other guy. Needless to say, the title was not transferred.

*One of the saddest parts about being in line was to listen to the people who turned down the "God Bless America" tags that are now available in Alabama. My heart broke to hear that many people did not want the God Bless America tags.

*The end all be all...a black man probably in his early 40's was standing in line being very friendly with people around him (making conversation). As he went to leave (which by the way by this point I was standing at the counter being helped), the man handed the lady helping me a card. She started to laugh and her words were "oh no he didn't". I asked her what he had handed her and here is what the card said: "Dr Feel Good" Male Entertainment I will meet all your pleasures and desires. Okay, eewww!

As you can read, I had an entertaining time at the DMV. Next time I need to renew a tag, I will be doing it over the internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you........EWWWW on the last guy!!

jennyhope said...

That is hysterical! I was laughing out loud. why on earth didn't you do it online? I wont dare go there. Plus they are so not friendly!! :) love jen

Site Meter