Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Embrace the Moment


How many special moments in time have I allowed to pass by me without me taking a second, third or tenth glance? My best friend is moving on to new adventures and with those new adventures comes more distance apart and less time spent together but last week I had the wonderful opportunity to spend time with him and his friends and to say “good bye/see you later” to a lot of people who have become like family to me. In the process of saying good-bye last week, I realized that there are so many moments in my life that I allow to pass me by and I don’t even give them a second thought. I had so many moments of laughter and tears last week that it would take me pages upon pages to describe but I would like to share about the one moment that has been impressed on my heart forever. My best friend’s (Clay) last day at his church (where he was the church music minister) was this past Sunday so we spent the entire day at the church. Around 3pm, Clay, myself and two beautiful ten-year old twins (Ashton and Abbie) were sitting in his office joking and playing around and trying to keep his spirits up (definitely trying to make him laugh). The defining moment for me was when he picked up his guitar to play and sing for the girls. As he began playing, we all sang along while laughing and talking at the same time. Clay played the guitar and we sang along to many Christian songs for over 30 minutes. I will never forget the moment it hit me that I would never be in that same place again and I would never have that opportunity again. I will never forget the memory of sitting around, singing Christian songs with two ten-year olds and it was a great reminder that I need to stop and look around every once in a while.
The next time you have a moment, take a second glance and make a memory!

3 comments:

The Cook Family said...

hey, thanks for the comment...didn't know you were keeping up with us!!

how are things with clay? is he heading off to another church? talk to ya soon!

Alissa said...

Hey Jana,

Of course I keep up with you! :) You have both been in my prayers so I always check to see how you both are doing. How is seminary for Kenny? My friend Don just finished up with Greek and Hebrew and he is definitely thankful that he doesn't have to worry about those anymore. :) As for Clay, we are no longer dating but we are friends and things are good. He is actually going to be working with his mom at her insurance company in Kansas. Definitely a change in jobs. He is hoping to maybe end up working at a small church part-time. We shall see! Hope things are well with you!

Anonymous said...

Great post

Site Meter