Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dying with a Smile

Cancer was taking her life one cell at a time. Her cancer caused confusion, took one of her dreams away and left her family with a void. One thing that her cancer never took from her was her smile and positive attitude. I found out this week that a woman I have known for many years through work (she was one of the child care providers that I have worked with) died of brain cancer. It is heart-breaking for her family and for the children that she took care of but one of the most amazing parts of the story is that I, along with my co-workers, never knew that she had cancer. Tracy had brain cancer for three years but she never once mentioned it and I never once heard her complain. She continued to serve the children (one of her passions in life) and she continued to train her three daughters to take over the day care center for her once she was gone. I am in shock that she is gone but I stand in awe that she was so brave and that she stayed courageous throughout the whole sickness. Her husband told us today that he is confident that she is in Heaven and he is happy that she is cancer-free. What an inspiration!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing story...my mom's best friend was this strong when she had breast cancer. She lived with it for 7 years before losing the battle at the age of 42. She is our motivation to walk in the Race for the Cure every year.

jennyhope said...

girl! I can not believe that. I would be breaking out the horn telling everyone so they could pray. That is good but so sad.

Site Meter