Monday, December 29, 2008

Nightmare on Honeymoon Street

The wedding on Saturday was absolutely beautiful and I had a great time. It is wonderful to be married and to have found "the one" who loves me unconditionally all the time. We have been excited about our honeymoon and I have always planned vacations and things have typically turned out really well. However, the one time I really needed to plan things perfectly, it didn't turn out that way. I made the reservations for our condo in Destin about 3 months ago. When I called, I was given the name of a place in Destin and I looked it up to see the pictures and it looked really nice so I made the reservation for a beach front condo. As I made the reservation, the lady on the phone told me that a very small service road ran in front of the hotel but that it would not be bothersome and that we could still see the beach and hear the beach and it would be like the "small service road" was not even there. As we drove up to the condo, I realized that the "small service road" was actually the beach front road that led to all of the restaurants and hotels along the beach. I tried to keep an open mind until we went into our room. I walked out onto the balcony and all I could see and hear were horns honking, music blaring from the cars, lights from the cars going to and fro, and the balcony was the size of a tiny bathroom so there would be no sitting on the balcony available. I went down to ask if we could change to a different room on a higher floor and we could only move one floor up. I decided to try it and this is where things really went downhill. As Jamie unloaded the bags, I walked out onto the balcony and realized that the noise was just as loud as the previous room. I broke into tears because I could not believe that I had messed up the room, I was upset because you only have one true honeymoon, and I was angry because the service road was not small. Poor Jamie..he walked out onto the balcony only to realize that I was in tears and as he hugged me (he wasn't sure how to respond so he went with his gut instinct to just hug me) and I began to sob. I told him that there was no way to was going to stay in a room on my honeymoon that overlooked the service road with the blaring music, cars, and lights. As soon as I said I would not stay there, Jamie immediately got on the phone and we were changed to a condo that is actually on the beach and there are no lights or blaring music. So, the moral of the story...the "small service road" is always a major highway and pictures on the internet don't always tell the truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, wow, that really sucks but ya know, that is what will make you stronger and I'm sure that I speak from experiance (well, once ya know) that most honeymoon's there is ALWAYS something that goes wrong .... Like on mine when My wife had been on several other Cruses before, but this one she has to get sea sick on!!! Go figure! So Laugh a little now and realize that you have just entered the "rest of us" world where now you find out that Life will KEEP on throwing you curve balls even more frequently now but you will not become a better Dodger!!!! lol (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to switch completely because any girl would have been upset...especially on her Honeymoon! Have a great and relaxing time.

Melodie Norman Haas said...

Awww! Well at least you two got it worked out. I wanted to cry just reading it! I would have been furious.
Something always goes on the honeymoon, we almost drove off a mountain! I will have to tell you about it sometime, maybe tomorrow night at dinner!

Site Meter