Thursday, July 10, 2008

Failure is Lurking

Failure: a lack of success in or at something; something that falls short of what is required or expected; somebody or something that is unsuccessful.

I have failed at many things in life but I have never seen myself as a failure. I have always fought the good fight and not given up until the very end, if I give up at all. I am stubborn so I will fight and fight and fight more no matter what the circumstances because I don’t ever want to give up. However, I have a challenge in my life right now that has caused me to feel like a failure and to give up. I am in graduate school at the University of Alabama. I have absolutely loved all of my classes up until this summer. In June I started a statistics class which has been a thorn in my side since the day I received the syllabus. It is one of the hardest classes I have ever taken in my life, the teacher has not taught one thing (she tells instead of teaching), we are covering a semesters worth of material in 8 weeks, we are not allowed to ask the same question twice (she sighs if we ask more than once), we are talked as if we are stupid, we have a quiz and assignment due every week, our final is comprehensive and worth 200 points, and there is absolutely no room for error or mistakes. Now I know…I chose to take this class and I chose to be in graduate school but I am there to be taught-not to be told.

Failure defeated me last night and I think I have given up. It has been a long work week, it stormed on me all the way to class (it is an hour drive to school and an hour drive home), I get in class only to discover that I left my homework at home (if it is not turned in on the day it is due then we get a zero), I ran back out to my car in the pouring rain to look for my homework so I got soaked, came back in and had 5 minutes to do the homework, we had a quiz that was so tough for me because I was so frustrated that I turned it in blank (not totally blank-my name was on it), and then the true final straw….we were taken to the computer lap and told “good luck”. By the end of the class, I walked out of the computer lap with an attitude of defeat and I feel as though I am a total failure. For the first time in my school life, I have thought about not finishing a class. I know that I am going to finish it so I can say that I have but failure is lurking right in front of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Statistics is so hard. I had that class my last year of college and it kicked my butt. You know what though its okay to fail because we can't be great at everything and God understands that even when we don't. We pick right back up and succeed at something else or try again. Don't be afraid to fall because God is the one catching you.

Site Meter