Monday, December 4, 2006

Power of the Upside Down Smiley Face

Power of the Upside Down Smiley Face
Nine years ago I began a journey that would take me on a roller coaster ride. Nine years ago I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, treated and I have been considered cancer free until last week when "something suspicious" was found in my neck. My journey continued Friday when I went to the doctor for an ultrasound and ended up having five biopsies done on my neck (I will know the official results tomorrow). Before the biopsies began, I was told to hold my head back, to not move or swallow while each biopsy was done. As I leaned my head back and got ready, I noticed a smiley face on the wall behind my head. To me he was an upside down smiley face but as you came in the room, he was right side up. I stared at the smiley face as the biopsies were being done but by the fourth biopsy, the pain became worse, I began to get tired of holding my head so far back, I lost my concentration on the face, fear overwhelmed me, tears welled up in my eyes and I remember thinking "Lord, this is so not funny and why is this happening again?" As soon as I thought those words, I was overwhelmed with a sense of peace and realized that I had lost sight of the smiley face because I lost my concentration. As soon as I regained my concentration on the smiley face, I realized that God was present with me, He was smiling at me, and He was there to comfort me. I began to smile (and no I did not move) and I remembered that God will never give me more than I can handle and He is always with me even when I least expect it (who would have ever thought that a smiley face would be on the wall of an ultrasound room). So what did I learn from the upside down smiley face? A smiley face is always smiling whether he is right side up or upside down and God is ALWAYS present when we need Him. When we need a smiley face, He is the one we need to look too

No comments:

Site Meter